Fortune 500 companies: Social Media Trends and Statistics
A study was conducted by PR firm Burson-Marsteller across 100 largest companies in the Fortune 500 list. Following are some of the top observations made:
- 79% of them use Twitter, Facebook, YouTube or corporate blogs to communicate with customers and other stakeholders.
- Twitter is the most popular platform that the companies use; two-thirds of the Fortune 100 have at least one Twitter account. They have an average of 4.2 Twitter accounts.
- 54% have at least one Facebook fan page
- 50% have at least one YouTube channel
- 33% have at least one corporate blog.
- 20% of the companies use all four social media platforms [Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Blog].
- Social networks like Twitter and Facebook are mostly West-oriented; Asia-Pacific companies don’t use them as much, instead preferring corporate blogs. When they do use Twitter or Facebook, it’s usually to engage consumers in Europe and North America.
- Consumers actually do like to engage with companies via social media, making all those channels worthwhile. Please find below Burson-Marsteller’s full presentation.